Labor Market Tools & Resources
Labor Market Tools for Your Use!
All headings are hyperlinked for your convenience!
Labor Market Information: Know Before You Go…Off to School!
- Over the last year, the region has been conducting an asset mapping gap analysis of workforce development services with a focus on career counseling in high schools. In addition to noting the significant skilled labor shortage in the region, one of the striking needs was the need to provide current labor market information to students and their parents. Career counselors knew where to get the information but didn’t have the time to research it and package it in a way that was easy for students to understand. Additionally, many career counselors and school administrators had no idea that there are so many great job opportunities for students that did not require a four year degree. To address this, Labor Market Infographics and the “Know before You Go” campaign was developed. The Infographics were designed with the high school student in mind but are applicable to all job seekers. It was also important to create something that would be quick to read and understand and would be a way to educate parents as well. Parents are the number one influencer in a student’s career decision and they tend to think that the only way to career success is with a four-year degree. The Infographics can be easily shared on social media such as Twitter, Facebook and on school websites, emails, newsletters, and other marketing tools. Schools, Chambers, EDA, ABE and others can access the Infographics free of charge on our websites. Two of the Infographics are below (reduced to fit on the page) demonstrating that approximately a third of the graduates with an Associate degree make more than half of those with a Bachelor degree. Other Infographics include the costs of education by degree type and college and current occupations in demand by degree. The Infographics have been very well received by the secondary schools and other partners.
Labor Market Data from MN Department of Employment and Economic Development for Southwest Minnesota
- Career and Education Explorer: Data Tool What kinds of jobs can I do? And where can I get the education I need? The Career and Education Explorer lets you explore a wide range of occupations and related education in a single easy-to-use online tool. Find wages, demand, job opportunities, and more. Also download Eligible Training Provider listings including WIOA-certified trainings.
- Southwest Minnesota Regional Labor Market Data:
- Southwest Minnesota Regional Profile:
- Regional Snapshots:
- Southwest Minnesota Region BLOG /Newsletter – monthly articles written by DEED staff about our part of Minnesota which is a national leader in agriculture production, and renewable energy. The region’s thriving manufacturing sector includes food processing, machinery, printing, metal products, and computers and electronic products!
- Redwood County Data Tools/Labor Market Information: Use this link and click on Redwood County and all the 21 statistical data information you could ever want to view is here!
- MN DEED All DATA TOOLS: Select a title and then click on the county you are looking up! This is a BOOK MARK page for sure!
- QCEW Results: This site will allow you to select date for one or more counties. This link will provide you with data on businesses in your county such as employment, # of establishments, wages, average weekly wages, gross employment gains, and gross employment loss by businesses and government at all levels!
- COST OF LIVING TOOL. This tool will show you the comparison for basic living expenses by county was you look at where your new occupation may take you and what earning levels you will need to make to afford where you live!
Luke Greiner is our regional Labor Analyst and is available to answer your questions via phone or email: Click here ito reach out to Luke!
What is LYFT? Launch Your Future Today (LYFT) is a rural career and technical education (CTE) pathway initiative with the purpose of rebuilding CTE in southwest and west central Minnesota. The goal of LYFT Pathways is for every secondary student in the region to gain marketable skills through meaningful CTE courses and opportunities which lead to further education and careers that match our region’s labor market needs. Print the flyer here!